– Where and when is practice?
- Practise is held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings at David Philips Sports Complex, Banks Avenue, Daceyville
– What times are practice?
- RGA Youth Gridiron Academy- 5.00pm to 6.30pm (Tuesday’s only)
- Colts Team – 6.00pm to 7.30pm
- Mens and Womens Team – 7.30pm to 9.30pm
– What are the teams?
- RGA: 8-16yrs
- COLTS: 15-19yrs
- WOMEN: 18yrs +
- MEN: 18yrs+
– What’s the deal with try outs?
- We don’t hold formal ‘try outs’ as such. We always have space for players who come to training and work hard. Coaches will be able to assist and advise you what position best suits your skills.
– What’s included in the registration costs?
- The yearly fee includes: Registration fee, T-shirt, Jersey, Pants and belt. Men’s and Women’s team receive a complimentary trip to their yearly scrimmage. Rookie players also receive a Raiders Hat.
– What extra gear do I need?
- You will require a helmet, mouth guard, shoulder pads, knee pads and girdle. The girdle includes tail, hip and thigh pads. We are happy to give you advice on what equipment will suit you best.
– Why should I play for your club?
- The UNSW Raiders have a rich and proud tradition as the oldest surviving Gridiron club in Australia. Our recent affiliation with UNSW means that we have access to world class facilities for training and games and we also have professional level training equipment. We are passionate about helping our club members to achieve their goals in our sport – be they physical, social or otherwise.
– When is season/preseason, I play rugby/AFL/other sport, will this clash?
- Preseason starts in the first week of June. The season starts in the last week of August or the first week of September and runs until December. We also run activities in the offseason (Feb to May). People who have played other contact sports generally have athletic skills that translate well to gridiron.
– Do I need to be a UNSW student?
- No you do not need to be a UNSW student to join our club, the UNSW Raiders is open to everybody
– Is it safe for my child?
- We teach our players how to tackle and hit safely. All of our coaches are accredited with the national body (Gridiron Australia), which teaches safe contact.
– Do you have any train up squads?
- Players who join up late in a season or who don’t feel quite ready to play matches are welcome to attend training sessions as development players.