Round 10 Review
This past weekend, Saturday 11th November 2017 (Remembrance Day), was Round 10 of the Gridiron NSW Season and our men and colts teams travelled over to Melwood Oval – Forestville. The Raiders women had a BYE week.
Our colts kicked off against the Giants at 11am hoping to keep their finals dream alive. Unfortunately, it was not a great day for the boys. The defence struggled to keep the Giants offence contained and by the end of the first half they had stacked on the points and the score at the break was 26-0. The second half told a similar story with the only score by the Raiders being a Pick 2 by #33 GianLuca Fanuli. FINAL SCORE – Central West Giants 46 have defeated the UNSW Raiders 2
Our next game of the round was our men who played the Newcastle Kings. After a minutes silence in honour of Remembrance Day, the game kicked off just after 3pm.
Our first touchdown of the game came around half way through the 1st and was a rushing TD to #20 Kingsley Dennison which gave the Raiders an early 6-0 lead. In the 2nd Quarter the Raiders offence unsuccessfully tried to break the Kings defence however points were added with a field goal by #33 Aaron McEvoy taking the score to 9-0 and he didn’t stop there adding a 3rd field goal to the tally before the end of the half and the Raiders led 12 – 0.
The 3rd quarter saw an early Safety to the Raiders taking the score to 14-0 before yet another field goal by the kicker which took the tally to 17-0. The only score of the 4th quarter was a 4th field goal by #33 Aaron McEvoy.
When Dan Hawkins (now Head Coach of UC Davis) visited Australia for the 2014 Gridiron Australia Future Stars he said “Don’t underestimate Special Teams… a game can be won or lost on special teams” and that was indeed the case for this match! Well done to the Raiders defence on holding the Kings scoreless and a huge congratulations to our kicker #33 Aaron McEvoy on his hat-trick of field goals!
FINAL SCORE – UNSW Raiders 20 have defeated the Newcastle Kings 0
Round 10 results from around the league were as follows:
- Central West Giants 46 def UNSW Raiders 2
- Sydney University Cubs 20 def UTS Gators 12
- West Sydney Pirates 12 def Northern Sydney Rebels 6
- Sutherland Seahawks 38 def Wollongong Mustangs 6
- Diamonds Gridiron 21 def Northern Sydney Rebels 0 (forfeit)
- Northwestern Phoenix 22 def UTS Gators 0
- BYE- UNSW Raiders
- UNSW Raiders 20 def Newcastle Kings 0
- West Sydney Pirates 21 def Northern Sydney Rebels 18
- Sydney University Lions 58 def UTS Gators 6
- Sutherland Seahawks 50 def Wollongong Mustangs 14
- Northwestern Predators 34 def Nepean Ducks 0
- BYE – Central Coast Sharks
NSW RAIDERS GAMES FOR ROUND 11 (17 November 2017)
Our next games are on Saturday 17 November 2017 which will be Round 11 of the GNSW Season. This is also the final round of the regular season.
- 12pm – Raiders Women vs Northwestern Phoenix at Lidcombe Oval
- 6pm – Raiders Men vs Central Coast Sharks at TBA
- Raiders Colts- BYE
LEAGUE LADDERS – These are updated weekly and can be found to the right of this post.
WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS – Make sure you look out for our weekly highlights reel which will be posted on Facebook page on Tuesday morning.